No wonder it is so hard to find your decorating style with all the different decorating terms, decorating styles and the different meanings the styles have taken on over the years. I am going to give you a few easy tips to help define your decorating style.
- 1. Start a private Pinterest board and name it “My Decorating Style”: Once you have your “My decorating Style” private board set up, start pinning only the styles you absolutely love on to this board. Take a look at the Pinterest boards you already have for living rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and bedrooms and move the favorites over to your “My Decorating Style” board. Remember to only pin the ones that are at the top of your list, the ones that jump out at you and say, I want this look in my house. This is a screen shot of my Living Room Board. I like to place any pretty living space onto this board, I pin spaces that are modern, shabby chic and many other styles, but they all are not styles that I would want in my home. I narrowed down my favorites and placed them into “My Decorating Style” Board I noticed after moving my absolute favorites over to “my decorating style board,” the styles that I really love have wood tones in them. The above screen shot is from my “decorating Style Board.” You can definitely see a theme of neutral walls with strong wood accents in each room. As much as I love the look of a shabby all white room, I know would not be happy with that style in my home since I really love the look of wood. The styles that stood out to me all had some type of wood tone in the image, these were the pins that ended up on “My Decorating Style” board and I began to notice the common looks that each of the pins reflected. Make sure you change the pin description to state what you like about the space and what you could do in your home to reflect that look. An example would be- “Love the warm tones of the hardwood flooring, I can remove the carpet in my living space to expose the hardwood flooring. This is a private pin, so you can be as detailed as you like on the description and how it works in your home.
- 2. Take Inventory of your current space: Get a notebook and pencil, sit quietly in each room, and start a “Dream List” of how you would like the space to look. Have your “My Decorating Style” Pinterest board open and sitting next to you for inspiration. Start by making a list of the changes you would like to make to the room. The list could be something like this: remove the carpet to expose hardwood floors, paint the walls a lighter color, cover sofa etc. Start another list of the items that would work in the room and also list the items that need to be removed or needs a makeover to fit into your decorating style. I am currently working on getting my home in shape to fit in line with my decor style. My list is long for my living room changes that I would like to make to get to “my decor style.” There are a few pieces that must stay in the space(required by Mr. DD) and many others that will go. I love wood tones, and my living room does not reflect the style I love. I see light walls and wood accents in my decor style board, and my current space is lacking those. I want to remove the carpet to expose the hardwood floors and lighten the walls for a more light and open feel. I have my list already complete and I will be slowly working on my space to reflect my style.
- 3. Shop Your Style: Once you have found your style through your Pinterest boards, you now need to shop and look at those retailers who help define that style. You will gain more inspiration and stay focused by shopping from those retailers. If you like a modern style, you would not shop from Shabby Chic Couture, you would shop at Ikea.
Here are a few choices for your decorating styles:
- Classic & Cozy Style: Ethan Allen Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware
- Modern Style: Ikea, West Elm, Arhaus
- Farmhouse: Painted Fox, Antique Farmhouse
Some of the major retailers fall into a few different style categories, and this sometimes blurs the style lines but you can get away with blending a few styles.
4. Name your Style: Naming your style is the hardest part. You may know the style you like, but it fits into so many different categories. Today’s decor styles are more of a blend of different styles. There are so many decor styles and so many different meanings for those styles. You can love the popular Farmhouse style and blend that style with other styles for a Cottage Farmhouse – Modern Farmhouse- French Farmhouse – Traditional Farmhouse. The best thing is you don’t have to fit into a particular decor style. Do what you love and don’t compare your style to all those perfect pictures you see in the Magazines. I decided that my style falls into the “Cozy Classic style” with a few touches of industrial and vintage. So when others ask, that is my response to my style. It was not easy to pinpoint but I am happy with my choice on styling words.
Have Fun and don’t be afraid to start, and it is ok to make those horrible decorating mistakes. I know I have made many mistakes and my style is always changing.