Last week I shared my updated office. Today I want to share the office project that helped me be better organized in our office.
Let me first start with the office project of using the old floppy disks (that we have an over abundance of).
The first step was to remove the labels. I used Goof Off to start. This was so strong that it began to eat away the plastic of the floppy disk, not a good option. I than reached for the WD-40, this worked like a charm. It removed all the stick from the labels and left me with a clean surface.
Next I placed a hole towards the bottom of the disk: there was a circle that went half way through the disk, I just made it continue all the way through. I used these holes and the square holes at the top(which write protect the floppy) attach the disks together, using small cable ties. I then glued a floppy disk in to the middle to use as a divider. I used liquid nails adhesive, this stuff is my go to adhesive. Next, I used a few more floppy disk to make several note pads. I already had note paper the correct size, so I only needed to add holes to the top. Again, I used cable ties to attach the floppy disk with the paper.
My husband loved his repurposed floppy disk office project.
The next office project I did was to make a mat at the back door to place our wet, snowy shoes. Of course I could not just place the plain black plastic mat that I purchased from the store at the door, I had to give it charter! I decided to try repurposing the wine corks as the mat topper. I have seen many posts on using wine cork for a mat, and decided to give it a try.
I placed the corks in my miter saw box, and used a hack saw to cut them in half. I wont lie, this was a long and tedious thing to do. I enjoyed drinking the wine way more than cutting the corks in half. Yes, my husband and I enjoyed all those bottles that you see above; it was a tough job but we had to do it so I could make some crafts! I am now saving for my next wine cork project, hee-hee!
Before gluing the corks into place, I had to shave the ridges off of my plastic mat. If you look at the first picture above you can see them, they prevented my corks from sitting evenly on the mat. I used a wood plain to shave them down flat. I used my favorite adhesive and glued each cork on to the mat. I came across this post about sealing a wine cork mat and you can read about her experience of sealing her wine cork mat. I love how this mat looks now, tedious but worth it!
The Dedicated House
I gotta try that
This gal Cooks
I Should be Mopping the Floor
Under the Table Dreaming
Homemaker on a Dime
I Heart NapTime
nifty Thrify Things
The Rustic Pig
House on the Way
I Gotta Create
The Busy Hive
Arsty Farsty Mama
Made in a Day
From my Front Porch to Yours
House of Hepworths
One Artsy Mama
Mom in the USA
I gotta Create
Too Much Time on my Hands
Funky Junk Interiors
Here’s to Handy Andy
Latest posts by DeDe (see all)
- Making Easy Friendship Cards - 05/06/2013
- Commissioned Project – Repurposed Mailbox! - 05/06/2013
- Food for Thought Friday – Inspirational Quotes – Right Place at the Right Time! - 05/03/2013
- Talkin’ About Thursday Link Party #18 - 05/02/2013
- One Item Wednesday – Repurposed Colanders! - 05/01/2013
- Food for Thought Friday – Inspirational Quotes – Live Your Dream!
- Tantalizing Tuesday – Snickers Fudge!