Ok, This French Onion Soup recipe will be the last soup recipe that I will be sharing for the season. For those of us in the north, we all know it has been a long
Winter Soup Season!
I have not made a French Onion Soup recpe in a while and Mr. DD requested it the week of his birthday, so I figured I best be making it for him. He usually does not request many meals, so when he does, I usually follow through with his request.
- 4 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces of beer
- 64 ounces of low-sodium beef stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- french bread
- gruyere cheese
- On medium/low heat in stock pot ,add onions, garlic, brown sugar, butter, salt and balsamic and mix until combined.
- Cover and let cook for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are a bit caramely and brown.
- Add in flour, then stir thoroughly and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add in beer, beef stock, thyme, salt and pepper, turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, cut french bread into slices.
- Fill soup bowls to the top, then cover with slice of bread and a slice of cheese.
- Set under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Be careful when serving as bowls will be hot!
You may also like these great soup recipes: