I have southern blood running through these veins and one of my favorite dinners that my southern Grandmother made was her fried chicken, black eye peas, creamed corn, fresh biscuits and gravy. Oh and I can’t forget the sweet tea. She would make a huge supper(lunch) when we came to visit and this was my favorite meal she always made.
Unfortunately, I don’t have the exact recipe how she made it. I am sure she just threw it together and never measured.
In case you did not know, I am called the gadget queen in my home, I love a good handy gadget. This corn peeler is one fun gadget. Not only does he smile at you, but he works really well.
The great thing about this one, it does get down to the cob and remove all the
pulp good parts!
- 6 medium ears fresh corn
- ½ c. butter
- ¼ c water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ c. half & half
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut corn from cob, scraping cob to remove pulp.
- Place butter in micro-proof casserole dish and microwave until melted.
- Stir in corn, water and sugar. Cover tightly with plastic and micro HI 3 min.
- In the meantime, put the cornstarch into the half & half so it will begin dissolving, stir frequently.
- Stir the corn and give dish ½ turn. Cover again and microwave HI 5-7 min.
- Then stir the half & half mixture into the corn, cover and microwave HI 2-3 minutes.
- Stir well, salt & pepper to taste.
What is some of your favorite summer time foods?