You may see a baking theme on my blog at times. It seems I get on a kick with a recipe and make different versions of the recipe. I get tired of making my famous Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins that are a favorite in this house, so why not make Chocolate Chip Banana Cake.
I have to say this one ranked up there with the Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins and the Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins. I am convinced that the boys will like any dessert as long as it has milk chocolate chips in the recipe. I think the maple sauce added to the flavor and moisture on this Chocolate Chip Banana Cake recipe. Of course you could omit the sauce, but I think it makes the recipe.
I honestly think my boys purposely don’t eat the fresh bananas just for the chance that I will use the bananas for some type of dessert.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 or 4 mashed bananas
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Caramel Icing
- 3 1/2 ounces unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the sour cream and mashed bananas, stir until combined.
- Fold in baking chips.
- Pour batter into a greased bundt pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until done
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn cake pan upside down onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Add butter, brown sugar, syrup and cream to a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a boil, continue cooking on a low boil for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature before pouring over the cake.
What is your family favorite recipe using mashed bananas, I am always searching for new recipes to use up the ripened bananas.