I love to make and eat soup when it is cold outside. This chicken tortilla soup recipe is easy to make and great tasting, it won’t disappoint.
I always like to double my recipes for soups and chili so I can freeze them for a quick and easy lunch. I did have to invest in more glass containers in order to have single serving sizes.
I use these and love them!
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut or shredded
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a medium saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. In a large stock pot, add in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn, chiles, beans, onions, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve in individual serving bowls and top with toppings of choice.
I always like to have chicken ready to serve for recipes. I usually pre-cook the chicken and store in the freezer for soups, salads or when I make chicken enchiladas. I find by preparing and having the chicken ready it makes cooking dinner a lot easier.